Log Graders and Scalers
Grade logs or estimate the marketable content or value of logs or pulpwood in sorting yards, millpond, log deck, or similar locations. Inspect logs for defects or measure logs to determine volume.
- Estimates and calculates total volume, waste volume, and marketable volume of log, using measurements and conversion table, and records results.
- Measures wood to determine dimensions or quantity, using measuring device and conversion table.
- Jabs log with scale stick and inspects log for defects and to ascertain characteristics.
- Evaluates log's characteristics and determines grade, using established criteria.
- Paints mark on logs to identify grade and species or calls out grade.
- Weighs log trucks before and after unloading, and records weight and identity of supplier.
- Tends conveyor chain to move logs to and from scaling station.